Monday, September 16, 2013

VOCABULARY #5

adroit- skillful in the use of hands or mind.
Wide receivers need to be adroit in order to catch passes.

amicable- friendly
I knew what John was saying was amicable, but it was just causing problems.

averse- having a strong dislike to something
Dodger fans are averse to playing the Cardinals in the playoffs.

belligerent- hostile or aggressive
Some people become belligerent when they're drunk.

benevolent- well meaning and kindly
I have a benevolent smile.

cursory- not thorough or detailed
The inspector took a cursory look at the scene.

duplicity- deceitfulness
I hated the moment when I realized the duplicity.

extol- praise enthusiastically
I was extolled when I struck out the last player.

feasible- possible to do easily, conveniently
My decision was not feasible.

grimace- twisted expression showing pain, disgust or wry amusement.
Joe grimaced when I punched him in the face.

holocaust- destruction on a mass scale, caused by fire or nuclear war.
I fear a nuclear holocaust

impervious- impenetrable
The wall seemed impenetrable.

impetus- the force or energy with which a body moves
My impetus caused me to bump into a crowd of people.

jeopardy- danger of harm, loss, or failure.
The Eagles season will be in jeopardy if they lose next week.

meticulous- showing great attention to detail.
My mom is meticulous when checking if my room is clean.

nostalgia- a sentimental longing for the past.
Some people become overcome with nostalgia when they go to the cemetery.

quintessence- the perfect example.
Alex is the quintessence of lop.

retrogress- to go back to a earlier state, usually a worse one.
The sick patient retrogressed and is now very sick.

scrutinize- examine or inspect closely
Doctors often scrutinize their patients to make sure nothing is wrong.

tepid- lukewarm
My tepid soda had lost all it's carbonation.

No comments:

Post a Comment