Tuesday, October 1, 2013

VOCABULARY #7

cursory- not thorough or detailed
The inspector took at cursory look at the crime scene.

impetus- force with which a body moves.
I lost my impetus when I hit the wall.

pinnacle- a high pointed piece of rock.
I hiked up until I reached the pinnacle.

contumely- insulting language or treatment.
Some kids are exposed to contumely.

bereavement- mourning 
I don't like being in a state of bereavement. 

cache- a collection of items of the same type stored in a hidden or inaccessible place.
My dad has a gun cache.

consummation- the point at which something is complete.
The consummation of a sale.

calamity- a disaster
The earthquake started the series of calamities.

avarice- extreme greed for wealth or material gain.
People are motivated by avarice.

fortify- strengthen with defensive works so as to protect it against attack.
The fort was heavily fortified.

erratic- irregular in pattern or movement
MMA fighters need to be erratic.

ubiquitous- seeming to be everywhere.
The man was ubiquitous.

fortitude- courage in pain or adversity
The US Army fights with great fortitude.

nonchalant- appearing casually calm and relaxed.
I punched Joe in the face and nonchalantly walked away.

affect- make a difference to
The injury began to affect my mobility 

effect- a change that is a result or consequence of an action of other cause. 
Some drugs have a lethal effect on people.

misappropriate- unfairly take for one's own use.
The bank had misappropriate funds.

pragmatic- dealing with things in a realistic way that is based on practical considerations.
Obama doesn't take a pragmatic approach. 

metacognition- awareness and understanding of one's own thought process.
I have metacognition. 

devoutly- showing deep religious feeling or commitment.
She was devoutly Christian. 

No comments:

Post a Comment