Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Spring Vocab #2

Accoutrement- additional items of dress or equipment worn by a person or used for a particular activity.
Accoutrement comes with being a construction worker.

Apogee- The climax
The last scene was the apogee of the film

Apropos- with reference to
I spoke apropos to the book

Bicker- argue about petty and trivial matters
I hate when couples bicker.

Coalesce- come together and form one mass or whole
The liquid coalesced into a puddle.

Contretemps- an unexpected and unfortunate occurrence
Contretemps always occur when I'm on vacation.

Convolution- a coil or twist
I saw the convolution in the tree branches.

Cull- select from a large quantity
The lottery winner is culled.

Disparate- essentially different in kind; not allowing comparison
Our thoughts are disparate.

Dogmatic- expressing personal opinions or beliefs as if they are correct
I hate dogmatic speakers.

Licentious- Lacking moral discipline or ignoring restraint
My dog is licentious.

Noxious- harmful, poisonous, or very unpleasant
Boats make me noxious.

Polemic- a strong written or verbal attack on someone
My polemic caused changed attitudes.

Populous- having a large population
China is one of the most populous places on the planet.

Probity- the quality of having strong moral principles
He was a man of early American probity.

Repartee- conversation or speech characterized by quick witty comments or replies
Talk show hosts are experts at repartee.

Supervene- occur later then implied
The party supervened.

Truncate- shorten by cutting off the top or end
I truncated the wood so it would fit.

Unimpeachable- not able to be doubted, questioned, or criticized..
People consider me to be an unimpeachable genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment