Monday, January 27, 2014

Vocab Spring List 4

accolade- an award acknowledging merit
I received an accolade from the president.

acerbity- a sharp bitterness
I showed acerbity when I didn't get my way.

attrition- process of gradually reducing strength of something or someone through sustained attack or pressure.
Conditioning is a form of attrition.

bromide- an unoriginal idea or remark
Bromides don't help solve problems.

chauvinist- a person displaying aggressive or exaggerated patriotism.
I laugh at chauvinists.

chronic- (Illness) constantly reoccurring
Some people have chronic bronchitis.

expound- present and explain in detail
We are required to expound our final projects.

factionalism- conflict within an organization or nation
I'm getting tired of the factionalism in my group.

immaculate- perfectly neat, clean or tidy
My room is never immaculate.

imprecation- a curse
Don't speak of the imprecation!

ineluctable- inescapable
The truth is ineluctable.

mercurial- unpredictable changes of mood or mind
Your temper is mercurial.

palliate- make less severe without removing the cause
Medication helped the cut palliate.

protocol- official system of rules.
I would, but it's against my protocol.

resplendent- attractive and impressive through being richly colorful.
That car is resplendent.

stigmatize- describe as worthy of disgrace
My pitching was stigmatized.

sub rosa- done in secret.
The CIA operates sub rosa.

vainglory- pride in oneself or one's achievements
Be successful, but don't show vainglory.

vestige- a trace of something disappearing or no longer exists
I found the last vestiges of Twinkies on Ebay.

volition- the power of using one's will.
Using volition, I stepped away from the pizza.





No comments:

Post a Comment